ROWEE IS A NEW PROJECT FROM THE CELEBRATED ITALIAN DJ AND PRODUCER LEONARDO GONNELLI. LEONARDO HAS PROVIDED OVER A DECADE’S WORTH OF DEEP HOUSE CUTS TO THE MASSES, UNDER VARIOUS GUISES.
HE HAS NOW TAKEN FORM OF A NEW MOOD DEEP DRIVEN SOUND. WE SPOKE TO LEONARDO TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PROJECT AND FUTURE PLANS.
1. How did Rowee project first come about, why do you feel in your career you wanted to bring this new mooder deeper soul sound to light.
I felt that I needed to express another side of myself. Rowee represents the start of a new chapter, the expressive and most hypnotic and mental side of me, a pathway that step by step I am taking on a journey through sound, storytelling, experimenting and expressing myself with total freedom.
2. Your production are always of the highest quality. Could you let our readers into some of your current setup. Them seem very analog infused, is there a piece of kit in particular that brings the Rowee sound to life.
Moogs, Modulars, and Minimonsta are among the instruments that I use the most, but at the base of everything is the ProTools HD hardware system and the I/O 192 interface, which can record everything at high quality, permitting detailed track mixing that is truly impressive.
3. What challenges are there when setting up a new project, when you are already well established artist in your own right.?
Creating new projects is always very exciting; Rowee represents a side of my musical self, more than a challenge. We all have different states of mind, different musical views, and it is important not to limit your own “views”, and instead develop and cultivate them.
4. You have been in the game for some time now, since starting out what differences have you noticed, and how has your sound evolved to what it is today?
My sound has changed a lot over the years, and it is a natural process, just like the way life naturally evolves and matures. Music keeps step with this process and you always hear it when you listen to your last completed work. Therefore, the quality grows at the same pace as the person, and completed works in the studio evolve record after record.
5. The beginning of 2017 saw your release your amazing Ep Disgusie on Damian Lazarus’s Rebellion imprint. 3 dancefloor weapons complete the EP. What was your thought process behind the EP, And how did it fall on Rebellion. Are there plans for more release?
I admire and love Damian Lazarus very much as a musician and a person; for me he is a true Artist with a capital A. I have been following his work for his labels Crosstown Rebels and Rebellion for a long time, and I really appreciate the incredible quality they express. The working process when making a record is the same I have used for years now, conceiving the idea and developing it with maximum attention to details of the groove – synths – bass – vocals. I met Damian at a party in Tuscany; I shared some of the projects I had in a drawer with him, and I was truly happy that he liked them, just as I am so happy to be part of the Crosstown Rebels family and to work with an artist of his stature.
6. You have also released on Seths Troxlers infamous ‘Play it say it’ and Steve bugs Audiomatique Recordings. For the Rowee sound how do you go about selecting the labels you wish to release on.
I don’t really select labels, and I prefer to compare myself to artists who I respect musically, like Damian Lazarus, Steve Bug, for example. That’s where all the collaborations, releases and remixes start.
7. It must be very rewarding to see the likes of Jamie Jones, Seth Troxler and Damian Lazarus supporting your tracks and playing them to the masses of fans. Could you tell us what emotions you feel when you have heard them play your records.
The support I have received over the years from Damian Lazarus, Jamie Jones, Seth Troxler, and Lee Foss, just to name a few, has been important and above all rewarding, in light of the sacrifices made in the studio. Seeking quality in what you do while comparing yourself to other artists is the foundation for growth in a musical sense.
8. With summer creeping up will you be performing as Rowee at any events, Would you ever considered doing a live Rowee show?
Rowee is a brand new project, just over three months, and the greatest satisfaction has been receiving great feedback from magazines from the underground scene like DJ MAG, from artists, from friends/collaborators and from many radio stations, including BBC. Why not.. we could see very soon a live Rowee show so as they say in these cases… stay tuned!
9. What’s in store for the remainder of the year for the Rowee project. More releases?
Yes will be out in the next months a new 2-Tracks EP called “La Terra” it will includes also a collaboration track with George Morel so more infos coming really soon!