Solomun selects some of his favourite remixes (2009 - 2015) for a compilationArtist | 18.05.2016
Melodic house pioneer and Diynamic figurehead Solomun is back with his latest release, a compilation of some of his best-loved remixes from over the past 7 years. Comprised of 24 tracks spread across two CDs, the collection is due for release in June this year, and is split into a vocal and non-vocal disc. Both the CD and vinyl versions come with customisable cover artwork and a pack of crayons, reflecting the “remix” concept.
The first disc displays Solomun’s skill for crafting intelligent yet crossover-ready reworks of both well-known and underground songs. Amongst these are some of the producer’s most iconic tracks to date; the Solomun Vox Mix of Noir & Haze’s ‘Around’ – Resident Advisor’s no1 remix and Groove Magazine’s no2 remix of 2011 – as well as his remix of ‘Let’s Go Back’ by Kraak & Smaak, which was also Groove Magazine’s no3 remix of the same year. His remix of Foals – ‘Late Night’ from 2013 also features, which, alongside ‘Around’, has racked up over 30 million views on Youtube to date. Other offerings range from atmospheric takes on the likes of Lana Del Rey and Roisin Murphy, to the more recent, deep and downbeat remix of Whilk & Misky’s ‘Clap Your Hands’.
The largely vocal-less remixes on CD2 allow Solomun’s unique production style to shine through. The dark beats of his remix of Stimming’s ‘Una Pena’ feat. Paulo Olarte makes for an attention-grabbing start to the disc, whereas his dub mix of ‘A Love Bizarre’ by So Phat! and Claude VonStroke’s ‘The Clapping Track’ shows his funkier side. Older remixes like that of ‘Magnetic North’ by Palm Skin Productions and Marbert Rocel’s ‘Cornflake Boy’ prove Solomun’s credentials with a traditional jacking house groove, underlined by those same distinctive lush basslines and melodic elements. Tiga & Audion’s famous ’Let’s Go Dancing’ draws the compilation to a close, demonstrating Solomon’s skill for bringing an entirely new dimension to an already very well-known track.
Solomun’s ‘Selected Remixes 2009 – 2015’ is a great overview of the multiple facets of Solomun’s unique yet ever evolving production style. His seminal label Diynamic reaches its 10th anniversary this year, marking the perfect time for this retrospective release.
Selected Remixes tracklist
- 01 Broken Bells – Holding On For Life (Solomun Remix)
- 02 Noir & Haze – Around (Solomun Vox Mix)
- 03 Ron Carroll & Superfunk – Lucky Star (Solomun Remix)
- 04 Tiefschwarz – Corporate Butcher feat. Mama (Solomun Remix)
- 05 Kraak & Smaak – Let’s Go Back feat. Romanthony (Solomun Remix)
- 06 Editors – Our Love (Solomun Remix)
- 07 Foals – Late Night (Solomun Remix)
- 08 Lana Del Rey – West Coast (Solomun Remix)
- 09 Paul Kalkbrenner – Cloud Rider (Solomun Remix)
- 10 Liu Bei – Atlas World (Solomun Day Remix)
- 11 Luca C & Brigante – Flash Of Light feat. Roisin Murphy (Solomun Mix)
- 12 Whilk & Misky – Clap Your Hands (Solomun Remix)
- 13 Josef Salvat – Hustler (Solomun Remix)
- 01 Stimming – Una Pena feat. Paulo Olarte (Solomun Vocal Mix)
- 02 Edu Imbernon & Los Suruba – Punset (Solomun Remix)
- 03 So Phat! – A Love Bizarre (Solomun Dub Remix)
- 04 Kollektiv Turmstrasse – Blutsbrüder (Solomun Remix)
- 05 Elekfantz – Diggin’ On You (Solomun Remix)
- 06 Palm Skin Productions – Magnetic North (Solomun Remix)
- 07 Claude VonStroke – The Clapping Track (Solomun Remix)
- 08 Marbert Rocel – Cornflake Boy (Solomun Dub Remix)
- 09 Tiger Stripes – Hooked (Solomun Remix)
- 10 Tiga & Audien – Let’s Go Dancing (Solomun Remix)
- 11 Gunnar Stiller – Tiagos Destiny (Solomun Remix)